EHIME ALEX, Lagos
The Lagos State government says it shall be an offence for anyone to artificially inflate prices of foods, drugs and essential goods and services, as it initiates measures against spread of the coronavirus.
This is contained in the Infectious Diseases (Emergency Prevention) Regulations 2020 issued by the Lagos government, which has been effective from March 27, 2020.
It states that in the event of a breach, the Governor may direct the seizure and forfeiture of foods, drugs and other essential items and may be utilised for the purpose of alleviating the supply needs.
It states further that violations liable to fine and/or imprisonment in line with Quarantine Act, Public Health Law or any other existing law.
The government ratifies all acts done to curtain Covid-19 prior to the Regulations and empowers the Governor or anyone duly authorized by him to:
- quest self-isolation of adults or a child (person under 18)
- restrict movements except movements of and for essential supplies of food, water, pharmaceutical products, medical supplies and medicines including movement of essential services personnel
- restrict gathering of persons including conferences, meetings, festivals, private events, religious services, public visits except with prior written approval by the Governor
- order the temporary closure of event centers, markets (other than for food, water or stores), bars, places of worship, educational institutions etc
- impose restrictions on the number of persons that may be present in a place
- direct security agencies to breakup any gathering and take into custody for the purpose of screening and assessment and if necessary, for isolation
- restrict trade, business and commercial activities in whole or in part
- direct that no one shall hoard foods, drugs and other essential items or refuse to provide essential services
- specify how the remains of infected person shall be transported, stored and disposed of including cremation of the remains
- prohibit the transmission or dissemination of false information regarding Covid-19
- prohibit promotion of unverified, untested or unapproved cures, vaccines or other medicinal items
- order any person to stay at home, deploy law enforcement officers to enforce directives, allocate spaces as isolation centers, etc, and temporarily take possession of property for use as isolation centers, storage of pharmaceutical and medical equipment etc subject to adequate compensation.