By EZEKIEL OBI, Abuja –
Nigerian Army has said it would on Saturday, conduct final disposal of Unexploded Ordnance (UXO) recovered from the site of the 2002 Ikeja Cantonment bomb blast at the Nigerian Army Range in Owode Ajilete, Ogun.
The Director, Army Public Relations, Brig.-Gen. Onyema Nwachukwu, stated this in a statement issued to newsmen on Thursday in Abuja.
Brig.-Gen. Nwachukwu, therefore, urged the public, especially residents around Owode, Ajilete and the environs not to panic on hearing the sound of explosions.
He also urged the public to go about their normal businesses, adding that necessary safety measures had been emplaced to ensure safety of lives and property throughout the duration of the exercise.
According to Nwachukwu, the clearance of remnants of unexploded ordnances from the site of the 2002 bomb blast started on Oct. 10 in an exercise codenamed “Exercise Clean Sweep.”
He said the exercise had reached an advanced stage, resulting in the recovery of various calibres of unexploded ordnances, out of which, 642 were professionally disposed on Oct. 27 at Owode Ajilete.
He added that “the search and recovery phase of the exercise have been completed and has now dovetailed into the final inspection of the site, which has earnestly commenced.
“Accordingly, there will be movement of UXOs from Ikeja Cantonment to NA Range, Owode Ajilete.
“There will also be large sounds accompanying the detonation exercise.”