
CDS Olufemi Oluyede
Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has dismissed reports suggesting that terrorists have established operational bases in Nigeria’s South-West region, insisting that recent security incidents in Oyo State do not indicate the presence of an entrenched insurgent network in the zone.
In a statement issued on Tuesday, the Director of Defence Media Operations, Major General Michael Onoja, said the Armed Forces of Nigeria had intensified operations in the forests and surrounding communities following the abduction attack on schools in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State.
The military authority described the attack on Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Yawota; Community Grammar School, Ahoro-Esinele; and L.A. Primary School as “deeply painful and unconscionable.”
The Chief of Defence Staff, General Christopher Musa Olufemi Olatunbosun Oluyede, according to the statement, sympathised with the families of the victims, the Oyo State Government and Nigerians over the incident.
“General Oluyede describes the abduction of innocent children and staffs as a callous and reprehensible act that strikes at the heart of every Nigerian, and assures grieving families that the full weight of the Armed Forces is being brought to bear to ensure the safe and unconditional return of every abducted victim,” the statement said.
The Defence Headquarters also urged citizens to remain calm and cooperate with security agencies as efforts continue to rescue the abducted pupils and staff members.
Reacting to reports alleging the existence of terrorist camps in the South-West, the DHQ maintained that available intelligence does not support such claims.
“The incident was an isolated criminal act and does not reflect the existence of any entrenched terrorist structure in the region, as the Armed Forces had earlier conducted a comprehensive clearance operation of the Old Oyo National Park (OONP), effectively neutralizing the operational capacity of criminal elements within that corridor,” the statement added.
It further stressed that ongoing intelligence assessments had not revealed any “structured or permanent terrorist base” within forests or remote areas of the South-West.
“Criminal elements, however audacious their recent activities, do not constitute an established insurgent presence, and the Defence Headquarters cautions against narratives that may cause unnecessary public panic or embolden adversaries by overstating their capabilities,” the DHQ stated.
According to the military, troops are currently combing forests and ungoverned spaces in search of the abductors and the victims.
The DHQ disclosed that troops had already made contact with the suspected criminals two days ago and had since reorganised to continue pursuit operations.
“Working in close coordination with relevant security agencies, the Armed Forces is conducting intensive joint operations across forest corridors and ungoverned spaces in the zone,” the statement noted.
The military also said local communities and vigilante groups were being engaged to provide credible intelligence that could aid rescue efforts and flush out criminal gangs operating within the area.
“The joint effort with all security agencies and local vigilantes will ensure that the forest is thoroughly cleared of criminal elements and that lasting peace is restored to the region,” the statement added.
The Defence Headquarters assured Nigerians that security forces would sustain operations until all abducted victims are rescued and those behind the attack are brought to justice.
“The Armed Forces of Nigeria will not relent until every abducted victim is safely recovered, the criminal networks responsible are dismantled, and normalcy is fully restored across the South West and indeed all of Nigeria,” the statement concluded.




