At least one person was feared killed when arsonists attacked Nnewi South Local Government Area Secretariat of Anambra at Ukpor on Thursday.
The arsonists were said to have numbered more than 50.
Igwe Nwosu Onyimadu, and Mr Emmanuel Nwachukwu, the traditional ruler and President-General of Ukpor community, respectively confirmed the incident.
The police also confirmed the attack.
A resident said he suspected that two persons must have been killed in the attack.
The source said residents thought it was a fire accident until the arsonists began to shoot into the air to repel whoever planned to put out the fire.
DSP Toochukwu Ikenga, Police Public Relations Officer in Anambra said investigation was still on-going to ascertain the culprits.
Ikenga said the Command received the report of arson by unidentified people who set some buildings at the secretariat complex on fire.
He said he was not aware of any death, however.
He said men of the fire service had been mobilised to the area to put out the fire.
“Police operatives have also been deployed to cordon off the secretariat.
“People should go about their normal businesses as normalcy has returned to the area,’’ Ikenga said.
Gov. Chukwuma Soludo also visited the scene for on-the-spot assessment.
The governor was accompanied by heads of some of security agencies in the state. (NAN)