Floods: Gov Diri says 1 million displaced, approves break for civil servants

Senator Diri Douye, Governor-elect, Bayelsa State
Senator Diri Douye, Governor of Bayelsa State

Bayelsa State Governor, Douye Diri on Tuesday said that so far, one million residents have been displaced by the ravaging floods, indicating that the worrisome phenomenon has created a humanitarian crisis beyond the capacity of the state.

He also announced a one-week break for civil servants except those on essential duties.

The governor, who stated these in a radio broadcast, regretted that the state teaching hospital and two stated-owned universities have been forced by the floods to shut down.

He empathised with the people and saluted their courageous disposition as they grapple with the natural disaster.

The governor appealed to President Muhammadu Buhari to assist the state with grants from the ecological funds, adding that the sole access to the East-West road has been cut off on several points making road transport to Bayelsa impossible.

NAN reports that public power supply has been cut as a safety measure as most distribution transformers and stations are already submerged.

Also, fuel stations who have since run out of fuel are not able to bring in fuel by road, leaving residents to resort to illegal refineries which are being clamped down by the renewed fight against oil theft.

The exorbitant cost of petrol which stands at between N700 and N800 for one liter has led to a more than 100 per cent increase in transport fares while small businesses, like barbers, have jerked up the cost of their services.

The blockade caused by the flood has also triggered a general scarcity of food, manufactured products including beverages and medicines, forcing prices to hit the roof tops.

The situation has also taken a negative toll on telecommunications services leading to limited data and voice services as many base stations have run out of fuel. (NAN)

DISCLAIMER

The OPINION / COLUMN is authored by independent contributors to the National Accord Newspaper. While contributors adhere to our editorial guidelines, they are not employed by the National Accord Newspaper. The perspectives and opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author and do not represent the views of the National Accord Newspaper or its staff.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*