
Resident doctors across Nigeria have announced plans to resume their Total, Indefinite and Complete Strike (TICS 2.0) from January 12, 2026, citing the Federal Government’s failure to fully implement agreements reached with the association.
The National Association of Resident Doctors (NARD) made the announcement on Saturday, warning that the action could once again ground medical services nationwide if outstanding issues remain unresolved.
In a statement shared on X and signed by NARD President, Dr. Mohammad Suleiman, the association said the decision followed resolutions taken at its Emergency National Executive Council (E-NEC) meeting held on Friday.
According to NARD, the renewed strike is aimed at compelling the government to honour the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) earlier signed with the association, which it said has been repeatedly ignored despite several deadlines.
“The association also announced plans for nationwide protests over unresolved doctors’ welfare issues, with centre-based demonstrations scheduled across hospitals,” the statement noted.
The industrial action, tagged “No Implementation, No Going Back,” is expected to resume on Monday, January 12, 2026, by 12:00 a.m., unless the government meets all pending demands.
NARD described the strike as an inevitable outcome of what it called the failure of the Federal Ministry of Health and the Federal Government to act on the agreed MoU.
As part of preparations, the E-NEC directed presidents of all 91 NARD centres nationwide to convene congress meetings and subsequently brief the media.
“The National Officers’ Committee appreciates your patience, resilience, and continued support in our collective struggle for doctors’ welfare.
“Following the E-NEC meeting, the following resolutions were reached: NEC resolved to resume TICS 2.0, tagged ‘No Implementation, No Going Back,’ with effect from January 12, 2026, by 12:00 a.m.
“NEC has also mandated every centre president from the 91 centres to hold a congress meeting and, at the end, address the media,” the association said.
NARD explained that the plan is to hold 91 press conferences nationwide within seven days to highlight lingering welfare challenges facing doctors.
It also announced that centre-based protests would take place between January 12 and January 16, 2026.
“We will then resume TICS 2.0 on Monday, January 12, 2026, at 12:00 a.m. NEC has also directed centre-based protests from January 12 to 16, 2026.
“After the centre-based protests, regional protests at the caucus leaders’ level shall be carried out.
“NEC has also directed a national protest to be organised by the NARD NOC,” the statement added.
The association stressed that any consideration to suspend the strike would depend solely on the full implementation of its minimum demands.
NARD had earlier suspended its indefinite strike on November 29 after 29 days of industrial action, following the signing of the MoU with the Federal Government. Under the agreement, the government committed to meeting the doctors’ demands within four weeks.
Among the key demands are the reinstatement of five resident doctors at the Federal Teaching Hospital, Lokoja; payment of outstanding promotion and salary arrears; and the full implementation of the professional allowance table, with arrears reflected in the 2026 budget.
Other issues raised include official clarification on skipping and entry-level matters by the Federal Ministry of Health and Social Welfare, the reintroduction and implementation of the specialist allowance, resolution of house officers’ salary delays and arrears, and the issuance of a pay advisory.
NARD is also seeking the re-categorisation and issuance of membership certificates after Part I examinations by the National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria, the commencement of locum and work-hours regulation committees, and the resumption and timely conclusion of the Collective Bargaining Agreement process.
The association explained that the one-week notice ahead of the strike is to allow time for congress meetings, media engagement, and statutory notifications to security agencies, including the Department of State Services, the police, the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, as well as hospital managements.




